To move the databases from one MS SQL server to another, it is required to:
- Install the new MS SQL server, keeping the same path to databases as for the old server.
That means, databases on the new server should be located on the
same disc and necessarily in the same directory as for the old server.
For example, on the old server data is located on d:\mssql\data\,
so the data on the new server should be located in the same directory.
- Stop the new MS SQL server.
- Copy all MS SQL database files including the "master" database which
keeps all logins information and other necessary information.
All database files should be put into the same directory as for the old server.
- Start the new MS SQL server.
- Change the MS SQL logical server IP to the new MS SQL server IP in the Control Panel.
- All resellers should reconfigure MS SQL server aliases to use the new IP for the MS SQL server.